Friday, July 6, 2007

What I'll be reading on my summer vacation...

Inspired by a visit this past week with my brother-in-law, a very progressive Evangelical Free pastor from Atlanta, and a recent invitation to help conduct research as part of my Methodist church's re-visioning process, I ordered a few books from Amazon.com that arrived today and thought I'd share the titles in case any of y'all have read them and have opinions:

"The Present Future: Six Tough Questions for the Church," by Reggie McNeal.

"The Shaping of Things to Come: Innovation and Mission for the 21 Century Church," by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch.

"Rethinking Christ and Culture: A Post-Christendom Perspective," by Craig A. Carter.

"Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine," by Wayne Grudem.

"Halley's Bible Handbook With the New International Version," by Henry H. Halley.

Actually, this is a good two summers' worth of reading, I'm sure!

Peace,

Stephen

1 comment:

nancy said...

Stephen

I heard Reggie McNeal speak at a denominational leadership conference in February. He's a very entertaining speaker with a strong message of "get out of the church and into the world if you're going to be where the Spirit is at work". Refreshing and cuts to the real issues immediately.

I'm familiar with Grudem's systematic theology. We attended the same church for a while and he taught at the seminary I attended in the Chicago area. It'll be a good read, for systematic theology, that is...

Post some of your thoughts on the first three books, especially. I've been wanting to read them.

Happy reading!