Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Jim Wallis in Iowa City Sept. 13

Jim Wallis, founder of Sojourners and author of "God's Politics: Why the Right Gets it Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It," will give a free, public lecture 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 13 in the Main Lounge of the University of Iowa's Iowa Memorial Union, at the corner of Jefferson and Madison streets. The title of Wallis' talk is "Biblical Faith and Political Values: A New Vision for America."

Here's a synopsis: "Jim Wallis senses a profound hunger in America for a politics that appeals to our deepest hopes and values, that unites rather than divides. As an evangelical Christian, he shows how a full biblical faith can contribute to resolving the great moral and political issues of our times: poverty, peace, security, abortion, care of the earth, immigration and the rest."

Something the Eastern Iowa Emergent Cohort may want to attend, individually or as a group. It'd be fun to meet for coffee and dessert after and discuss the lecture.

2 comments:

Lon Marshall said...

I'd really like to hear him. Unfortunately, I work on Thursday nights (though, I will be off on the 20th - maybe he'd switch for me ;) Steve, can you record the lecture? Or, will there be a way to get a recording of it? I'll look forward to talking about it on Monday night.

Monte said...

Wow - one of my heroes! I hope to be there!