Friday, June 8, 2007

a new kind of christian


Hey friends. I just finished reading McLaren's book "A New Kind of Christian". Once again, I find myself soothed by the fact that someone else out there is thinking and processing things that I'm dealing with. If you haven't read it, do so. (thanks Monte for pointing me to the book!)

There is a lot to process, but I'll just start by saying that being a leader on the front edge of this shift is exhausting and sometimes crazy-making. I want to and need to be true to what God is doing in my heart and mind, yet I'm scared to lay it out there for the people I lead. Part of me fears getting the boot, part of me is just uncertain because it is still so much in process, part of me is still scared because I'm still undoing my deep constructs of faith & theology...how can I sound articulate and clear when I'm in a bit of a fog?

The one thing that strikes me hardest as I write this is a need for courage to lead. What are the chances that those we lead are also processing these questions and fearing they are losing their faith or finding Truth, but see that their new found Truth won't be able to survive in their old context of church life. Don't people like that need us to bravely articulate the struggle, the fear, the hope, and the vision for living lives deeply devoted to Jesus and full of love and redemption for the injustice of this world? I think so...

No comments: